Veggie City 'in the hood'

Veggie City 'in the hood'
Veggie City crew members posing with Veggie Mastermind, Trevor Johnson in front of our newly painted banner! Thank you LIHC youth for creating such an awesome piece of art!

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Katie's Awesome Week 1

My name is Katie and this is my first time blogging!! It has taken me forever to get this blog finished because I wanted to make sure my first entry into the blogging world was perfect..I hope it turned out o.k. So this blog is about my very first week at VEGGIE CITY!!

I knew a little bit about the Veggie City project before getting hired as one of the new Community Development Workers, but I can honestly say that I had no idea what was in store for me the first week on the job. The first person I met was my also newly hired co-worker Derek. Our first day consisted of meeting with all the youth who took us around to all the different garden sites. When I say took us, I mean on foot...walking...4 hours in total of walking to be exact. Now I'm not exactly a couch potato, but I can say that it has been a long time since my primary mode of transportation has been by bicycle or on foot, so I got a great cardio workout and a glimps of what I had gotten my self into. As this is a green initiative project I found out that all the travel to the gardens to water, weed and harvest is done by bicycle or walking. The first week was an adjustment for me in that department, but I am getting used to it, and actually look forward to my daily bike rides... plus I'm being friendlier to the environment! Getting to know the youth this last week has been awesome! Everyday I come into work I know that I'm going to have fun... which not a lot of people can say about their job. One of the first things that I noticed about all the youth is the pride they take in the gardens they care for, and that they really believe in the Veggie City project and vision. Another thing that I noticed is the great response from the community. People like what they are seeing and are really taking an interest in the project and the positive impact it has on the community, which includes the shareholders!

Week one went by really fast, and I feel that I've already learnt a lot about my community, gardening and the people I work with. Stay tuned for my second's week blog.. which is where you will find out if I actually remember the locations of all the gardens and can make it a whole day without getting lost :)

No comments:

Post a Comment